The main focus of this unit is talking about popular street foods. Learners will be able to order, give opinions, give simple recommendations, and ask and answer basic questions about street foods.
⊕ Novice Mid – Intermediate Low
⊕ Contemporary Life
Talking about these topics:
⊕ Popular street foods
⊕ Main ingredients (recipes/menus)
⊕ Places to eat (food trucks, carts, etc)
⊕ Opinions (food reviews)
Using these language skills:
⊕ describing foods
⊕ giving opinions
⊕ understanding reviews
⊕ asking/answering simple questions
RESOURCES + LESSON IDEAS
Since this is a Planner Unit, we want to begin curating resources and ideas for you to build your own lessons.
basic info about street foods
重庆街头小吃 Chongqing street food：
菜单 (menu)：串串香 锅盔 转转面 叶儿粑 糍粑 麻辣串 麻花鱼 凉虾 小面 龙须酥
street food that is sweet or a dessert
Tanghulu (simplified Chinese: 糖葫芦；pinyin: tánghúlu)
Bingfen (Chinese: 冰粉; pinyin: bīngfěn)
List of other popular street foods
cold noodles, cold putting, BBQ lamb, deep fried dou, scalion panckes, deep fried stincky Tofu, Bao
经典街头早餐 Classic Chinese Street Breakfast:
- 包子：Baozi or bao, is a type of yeast-leavened filled bun.
- 粽子：Zongzi is a traditional Chinese rice dish made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo leaves.
- 煎饼：Jianbing is a traditional Chinese street food similar to crepes. It is a type of bing generally eaten for breakfast and hailed as “one of China’s most popular street breakfasts.
A classic street breakfast combination is Youtiao with soy milk. And there is even a pop song about it: 豆浆油条（Perfect Match） https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf8QsC6VzHo
What are popular street foods in China? Around the world?
Iron Squid 铁板鱿鱼
Barbecued Pork Bun 叉烧包
Custard Bun 奶黄包
Deep Fried Scorpion 炸蝎子
Soy Milk 豆浆
Have them write trivia questions to play in class.
Expand into street foods around the world.
opinions about street foods
People use Dazhong Dianping (www.dianping.com) in China. It is basically China’s version of Yelp. The images are from screenshots, they look much clearer in my word document.
- 孔师傅老鸭粉丝汤 Master Kong Old Duck Vermicelli Soup （Shanghai）
- 叶婆婆钵钵鸡 Granny Ye Cold Dishes (Leshan, Sichuan)
- 大华煎饼 Da Hua Jian Bing （Beijing）
Articles with lists (we call them listicles) about popular Chinese street food in Chinese. Pictures are nice to help learners
Foreigner’s Memories: 10 Chinese Street Foods That I Miss So Much It Hurts
The 4 most popular street food in China
The 8 most popular street breakfasts in China by foreigners
China’s top ten characteristic street food
places to eat
People use Dazhong Dianping (www.dianping.com) in China. It is basically China’s version of Yelp.
- 孔师傅老鸭粉丝汤 Master Kong Old Duck Vermicelli Soup （Shanghai）http://www.dianping.com/shop/H8zYV7LZ85WeJkKH
- 叶婆婆钵钵鸡 Granny Ye Cold Dishes (Leshan, Sichuan) http://www.dianping.com/shop/H53ErShpvWpFNKAX
- 大华煎饼 Da Hua Jian Bing（Beijing) http://www.dianping.com/shop/G8WShDjsCxNhNsBq
Which is better? To make at home or to buy it?
Scallion pancakes/crepe（葱油饼）would be a good street food to make at home.
ordering + prices
how to order food (cafe, food truck, simple interaction)
Street food in New York Chinatown
Video of a street food or food truck festival in China
- Xi’an Street Food
- China Xi’an Delicious Street Food
- Listicle of “Top # food trucks in X”
China’s top 10 famous food streets, how many have you been to?
Note: Food trucks are not popular in China, instead, we have night streets/markets in different cities for good street food and drinks.
Since there are not complete lessons yet, here are links to the Spanish lessons so you can see examples to get some ideas: